And again about translating PHP
When two years ago I needed to read a description of one of the functions, I opened Google, inserted the name of this function, and clicked on the link to the Russian description on the php.net website. In the eyes immediately rushed, that the description was incorrect - the third parameter, added in far not the latest releases of PHP, was trivial. I shrugged and switched to the English version, where everything was correct and corresponded to the current state of affairs.
However, the splinter remained in my memory and, after a while, I decided to study the question and find out exactly how the documentation localization takes place. Literally the third line of search results led to a fairly ancient the article on the habr. After reading, there was a desire to join the project.
Actually, there will be a rather chaotic story about how things are now with the Russian localization, what problems had to be faced and what conclusions can be drawn from all this.
At the moment, the translation into Russian is in some anabiosis.
All active translators have lost interest or can not find time for it
(alas, including me). And all the new people who showed interest, also somehow
quickly disappear =)
In fact, the state of localization looked something like this
I'm sorry, I did not think of making screenshots at that moment.
On this, perhaps, with a report on the work done, I will finish and go over the story about the problems.
What had to face
Salvation drowning - the work of the drowning themselves
The first and probably one of the biggest problems is communication in the team.
Having translated the first hundred pages and creating a patch, I realized that I absolutely can not imagine what to do with this further. When the patch hangs in anticipation for about two weeks without any feedback, the desire to continue to do anything completely disappears. Actually, at the time, I was saved by the fact that 100 pages - it's not 5 pages and it was a shame to throw out the work done to the wind. Therefore, it was decided to knock on all the doors, maybe someone will respond.
This later I learned that the easiest way is to write to the distribution group (a completely monstrous way of communication in 2016+), but at that time I had to play detective stories and for no translators to look for their mailing addresses and send letters. Of all the sent letters, the answer came only from Irker , and, on good, just from this moment, everything is turning
Running with obstacles behind the left locomotive.
Before starting to translate new pages, it was logical to start to put in order the old ones. For a penny is the price of documentation, if a third of it is not true. Approximately 700 pages were waiting for them to be put in order. Plus to this was just the process of updating the English branch to fit PHP ? so that the number of them arrived and arrived.
It was about the engine, and now about the obstacles.
The most horrible thing was that half of these pages someone had already tried to update. Often did this not to the end, or rather crooked, or after the actualization of the main page several times changed. In general, he is still an adok.
And let's correct the script indents in all documents?
A couple of times there was a situation where in the English branch script was ruled by all documents at once. Usually they put together instructions for automatic updates for translators, but in fact they had to check 100-200 pages manually afterwards. Sad but true.
I clicked something and it all broke
One of the most unpleasant events is to receive a letter in the mailing list:
The ru build of the PHP Manual is broken, so it does not have validate or build. Please fix it! ;)
Attached is the full log
Love, The docs.php.net server
Eyh man. No worries. Happ shittens. Try again after fixing the errors above.
=============> Something happenend when snapshotting ru
=============> Please have a look!
If the evening build broke after the morning commit of one file, then, for the most part, everything is simple - you go and verify. But if commits were about twenty, and the number of files is measured in a couple of hundred, then it's easier to hang yourself, because both the pre-access log and the diagnostic mode do not always add insight into where the problem is. And the problem can easily be on the side of the main English branch and then generally the carcass light.
And erased from the face of the earth his creation - Easily, at ease, with inspiration. ©
Vandals. Yes. Fortunately, not so much as it could be, but you have to clean out the stables from time to time, from the simple "x * y x * y X * y here was Vasya" and ending with a substitute for links to phishing sites.
Have you learned Finnish?
The terms are still a headache. For many English-language terms, there are no analogues in the Russian language. And if it concerns the description of a narrowly specialized extension, for which in principle there is no adequate description even in English, it becomes quite sad. Sometimes the translation of one small page takes several times more time than a dozen voluminous sheets of text about widely used things. On the other hand, you learn a lot.
Russian documentation for PHP can be used. It is 100% relevant and in the foreseeable future this will remain.
If, suddenly, after this publication, those who are willing to help will want to, you can even expect an increase in translated articles.
Instructions for using the online editor for the authorship of Irker
P.S .: If you are interested, I can generally tell you about the process of writing PHP documentation, what is good in it, and what is not.